The Academia Nut

Tales of a thirty-something, tenure-line, struggling, teacher, scholar, writer, mother, partner... (who used to be a twenty-something graduate student, teacher, writer...)

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Don't call me Mrs.

You may call me Dr. M.  You may call me professor.  You may call me by J, my first name.  You may acknowledge my academic degree or status, or you may acknowledge me more personally.  And while I should be more bothered by it, I don't care if you privilege gender and call me Ms.  It's up to you.  I realize I occupy all of those positions -- educated, educator, and person, and "other."  (And for the record, I'd prefer you call me Dr. or Professor.  Yes, I realize it's elitist, but I can't help it.  I spent nearly a decade working for whatever-it-is that's been reduced into those titles -- Dr., and Professor.)

All of that is unimportant.  You can call me J if you want.

But please, don't EVER call me Mrs. M. Please don't acknowledge my marital status above my education, my position, or whatever it is that I believe is "me." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home