The Academia Nut

Tales of a thirty-something, tenure-line, struggling, teacher, scholar, writer, mother, partner... (who used to be a twenty-something graduate student, teacher, writer...)

Friday, November 26, 2010

And so it goes

And so it goes.  Vonnegut, right? 

In my very first post, I admitted that I'm not so good with this "dear diary" thing. After five years of silence on this blog, I think I've made my point.  I'm not so good.  Point made.

So let's recap the past five years: I married a fellow grad student in my field who shares my areas of expertise. He graduated and got a decent job. I finished my diss during my pregnancy and went on the job market 8 months pregnant. Despite splitting my pants during a presentation and and suffering a split pelvis during a particularly fast-paced campus tour (I was 8 months pregnant and stomping around the campus overcompensating for the noticeable "family way" in which I found myself), I landed a great TT position at a university just an hour drive away from my husband. Our son was born one month after I accepted the position and one month before I defended my dissertation.

Fast forward two and a half years: I'm a mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home